Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Artists' Philosophy

Nobody has ever built a brand by imitating somebody else's advertising.   — David Ogilvy


Trust your gut, shoot what you love, be kind, don't leave if you don't think you got the shot.   — Tara Donne (Photographer)


Slow down and look up.   — Jeremy Holmes (Illustrator)


Look behind you.   — Samatha Duvell (Photographer)


Surround yourself with great people. A smile goes a long way. Always get in the other guy’s shoes. And remember this job of photography is fun.   — Eric Kiel (Photographer)


Life is filled with incredible possibilities, why not make choices that allow us to experience a bunch and try to help others along the way?   — Annick Poirier (Illustrator)


Art is about communicating your ideas, design is about communicating their ideas. If every now and again I can do both at the same time, I consider myself lucky.   — Eric Skillman (Designer)


Photography is my way of communicating what I see. I don't want to just capture images, I want to create images that empower and give voice to the subject, that engage and inspire the viewer.   — Rod McLean (Photographer)


I always try to keep things as simple and as focused as possible; most of the time the answer is right in front of me.   — Sara Remington


I find that if I keep things simple and don't over think, I get better pictures. And if I'm really liking what I'm making and I'm enjoying doing it, I'm usually on the right track. In other words, if I'm putting a lot of effort into something and it's just not feeling right, it's probably because it isn't. I guess that's my philosophy, to try the best I can to follow my instincts. Instinct is the only good monitor for art--or life for that matter! Great, now I'm giving life advice. This is not where I meant for this to go.   — Alex Prager


A favorite quote by Soren Kierkegaard becomes more true as time goes on, "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." Photographs are moments captured, life frozen, to be revisited again and again. I think they may just help us to understand backwards.   — Gennan Shippen (Photographer)


To do something new, thoughtful, opinionated, honest. To do it very well, and enjoy ourselves while doing it.   — Paul Weeks

No comments: