Thursday, January 11, 2007

Healthier Living

After the holidays and eating all the goodies, I've decided to change my eating habits to be more healthy, organic and nutritious. I was watching a food network show, 10 Days to a New You, hosted by Ellie Krieger. She is a nutritionist. It was very informative. Did you know that 1/2 of our plate should be filled with vegetables, 1/4 filled with meat (size of a deck of cards), and 1/4 filled with healthy carbohydrates? She talked about portion control, and when we eat to the point that we feel bloated, we have eaten over our needed portion which is rated a “10”, when we should be eating to the point of “5”. She says after you eat your appropriate portion, wait 20 minutes, and then our stomach will feel full. It is a 20 minutes delay for our physical being to feel filled or not. Ellie also talked about healthy proteins, carbohydrates, snacks, etc. All these facts have helped me change my eating habits.

My eating habits have changed to be more organic, fresh, appropriate portions, and just healthier. And I’m taking my vitamins and calcium on a daily bases. However, I didn’t have breakfast at home today, so I decided to eat an Egg McMuffin sandwich from Micky D’s, on my drive to work. And man, after eating it, I felt sick! It is amazing how fast the healthy change can make my body feel. Today, I treated myself to some healthy, all natural ingredients, no trans fat - Beth’s Heavenly Little Chocolate Chip Cookies. And they are heavenly as the cover says. It is made out of wheat flour and all natural ingredients/no chemicals. I had three mini cookies and it was perfectly filling as a dessert and only 60 calories. Can’t beat that, and it is tastier than those chemically made fat-free cookies out there.

If you want a good motivation to stop eating fast food, watch Super Size Me. I watched it on New Year ’s Eve. And man, it is convicting!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Special. Thanks for spreading the positive feedback on your blog. Tune in for more healthy recipes on my show "Healthy Appetite" on the Food Network, 1pm ET/PT on Saturdays.

All the best,
Ellie